Westtown Lake Boat House




As a child, every year on the 4th of July, my grandparents would reserve the best spot for overlooking the beauty of Westtown Lake. More of a large pond rather than a lake, the 16-acre alluring basin was created in 1912 for swimming, skating, and fishing for the community and for Westtown school students to enjoy.

The school was built by the Quakers in May of 1799 for students to learn without being under the influence of city life. The Quakers believed in a “guarded education in a healthy environment.” A sanctuary for recreation and for spiritually connecting with nature.

The Lake is a refuge for deer, geese, and fish. Picnic areas surround the lake and canoes are available in the boathouse for bass fishing or for simply enjoying the beauty of the lake. A quiet and peaceful place, where, if you can imagine, a solo saxophonist can be heard playing soft jazz. The melody rises above the tranquil lake soothing the most hardened soul.


My family was the only African American family to visit this lake even though I don’t recall any family members ever attending Westtown School or that lived in the area. I never understood how my
grandfather was able to reserve the best spot on a private lake for an exclusive community of doctors and lawyers. In any event, my family never witnessed any racial bias nor did we ever feel unwelcome.

This was years ago. My grandfather has since passed. His ashes grace this lake of solitude he once enjoyed with his family. Every once in a while, I’ll visit Westtown Lake to reminisce.

Comments